Lower back pain can be debilitating, and the range of over the counter cures, while they may help, have side effects to consider. Natural news suggest some great medication-free ways to ease the pain.
Get instant relief with gentle stretching.
1. Lie on your back. Very, very slowly bring your right knee in toward your chest, only as far as it feels comfortable.
2. With your hands on your shins, hold this position for 10 to 20 seconds.
3. Slowly release and gently let your leg down to a slow count of 5.
4. Repeat with the other leg.
Do this exercise 5-6 times in the morning before getting out of bed and again at bedtime.
Just apply pressure on certain points on the body to release endorphins and help make back pain disappear.
1. Center the tip of a pencil or your fingertip between your nose and upper lip.
2. Apply deep pressure and hold for several seconds, then release. Repeat 5-10 times.
3. Next, place the pencil or finger tip between your inner anklebone and Achilles tendon.
4. Apply deep pressure, hold for several seconds, then release. Repeat this 5-10 times.
5. Finally, make a fist. On the outside of your hand near the pinkie finger locate the spot where the skin folds and bulges, and press there (same as above).
Try a muscle relaxation tea.
Add 1 teaspoon of cramp bark (Viburnum Opulus) to 1 cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and drink. For best results, drink 3x/day. Back pain caused by tension and stress can be eased with Valerian root (Valeriana officinalis). Valerian blocks transmission of stress signals between the brain and body, and comes in capsules or tablets. In independent studies an African herb called Devil’s Claw eased back pain as well as prescription drugs without side effects.
The power of water.
Dehydrated muscles can spasm causing pain. Dehydrated spinal discs no longer function as good shock absorbers, so keep them hydrated. Fatigue caused by chronic dehydration creates poor posture, causing you to shift back and press on nearby nerves causing back pain. Drink enough water and fatigue and pain can be a thing of the past.
The best way to prevent back pain is to maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, eat right, drink plenty of water, and reduce stress. But when it strikes, treat it naturally for safe (and fast) relief.